Karekare community information

We, along with Auckland Council and our partner agencies, are committed to supporting the Karekare community as they recover from the devastating impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle.  

This page contains updates and information that we hope will help answer some of the questions that those directly affected, may have.  

on this page


Road and track closures

Karekare Road, Lone Kauri Road and La Trobe Track: Full closure - open to residents only, with the following restrictions:

  • 30km speed limit
  • weight restriction nothing over 3.5 tonnes
  • no vehicles over 3 metres in height

Please also note the section of Lone Kauri Road between Nixon Track and La Trobe Track remains closed to residents by Auckland Transport until further notice. 

Auckland Transport is working hard to repair the damage caused by the recent extreme weather events in Tāmaki Makaurau. Locations that have the highest risk or safety needs are prioritised for attention.

Visit the Auckland Transport website for the latest updates on the progress of repair work in Karekare.

Cordon vehicle passes

We are moving from a manual paper-based process for issuing new vehicle passes, to an online form.

If you require a pass to gain access through the Anawhata Road cordon for personal or business reasons, you can apply online here.

The existing coloured paper passes are still valid – you do not need to apply for another pass if you already have one.

Once you apply, you will be asked to provide supporting documentation and we aim to complete all requests within 3 business days. It is important to note, access to Piha and Karekare remains extremely restricted, and all applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


Beaches across the west coast, including Karekare and Piha are closed to visitors and there will be no surf lifesavers on patrol. 

Temporary accommodation

Ministry of Business, Employment and Innovation (MBIE) has activated its Temporary Accommodation Services (TAS) following the floods and Cyclone Gabrielle.

TAS assists households affected by a natural disaster to find safe, secure and accessible temporary accommodation while their home is being repaired or rebuilt.

If you were living in a property when it was damaged by natural disaster and need help to find somewhere to live while your home is repaired or rebuilt, TAS coordinators can connect you to services and resources to help get you back on your feet.

People in Auckland affected by Cyclone Gabrielle can register with the Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) on 0508 754 163. TAS will be in contact within five days to understand people’s needs.

It is important to register with TAS as soon as possible – either via the website or over the phone. A matching and placement coordinator will assess your needs and arrange suitable accommodation support.

Visit MBIE’s Temporary Accommodation Service website for more.

Building assessments

For information about the Rapid Building Assessment process please refer to the Auckland Council website |Building assessments for flood and cyclone damaged properties. 

Who to contact about Rapid Building Assessments 

The RBAcomms@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz email address can be used for all communication with the Rapid Building Assessments team, including to: 

  • Request Rapid Building Inspections 
  • Request Rapid Building Re-inspections 
  • Request a potential placard change 
  • Sending in evidence to support placard changes 
  • Notification of further property changes, e.g, further slips or flooding has occurred on the property 
  • Update your contact details 

While the team are receiving high volumes of emails, they are endeavouring to respond within three working days.

Help is available

If you need assistance or support, please contact us on 0800 22 22 00.

Civil Defence payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding in Karekare, Piha, Muriwai and Te Henga in Auckland.

**Update 29/03 Wed: The Ministry of Social Development Civil Defence payments finish this week**

You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment, and non-residents may be eligible. In most cases, it doesn't matter what your income is or what assets you have. Visit for more information on Civil Defence Payment.

Call on 0800 400 100 Monday to Friday from 8 am-5 pm, and on Saturday 8 am-1 pm or visit the Work and Income service centre for help with Civil Defence Payments.

Check all support available including financial support 

NZ Post redirection

  • Customers can visit a post centre to create an account. They need to tell post centre staff to write on the form “Free Flood Redirection”.
  • Customers must present one form of ID (can be passport, drivers licence, Kiwi Access Card, SuperGold or Community Services Card).
  • The free redirection will be in place for four months – however, this can be extended (with usual fees applicable if needed).


Skip bins for communal use have been placed at the following locations:

  • Layby Area close to Karekare / Piha Rd intersection
  • Layby Area close to Lone Kauri / Piha Rd intersection