Muriwai community information

We, along with Auckland Council and our partner agencies, are committed to supporting the Muriwai community as they recover from the devastating impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle.  

This page contains updates and information that we hope will help answer some of the questions that those directly affected, may have. 

Community newsletters & FAQ Sheet


In Video: Geotech and Natural Hazards Specialist Ross Roberts provides an in-depth overview of the Geotechnical situation in Muriwai

on this page



Cordons remain in place at the intersections of Motutara Road and Muriwai Road and Waitea and Oaia Roads, allowing resident-only or permitted access. 

For health and safety reasons, “hard” cordons remain in place from 177 Motutara Road to 351 Motutara Road and from the bottom of Domain Crescent. There is security in place at these cordons.

Police will continue to have a visible presence and will be undertaking regular patrols.

Resident access to Motutara Road and Domain Crescent

If your property status has changed from a red placard to a white or yellow placard, you will now have access or restricted access to your home. Some properties can only be accessed on foot due to debris on the roads, while others can be accessed by vehicle.  

You will be advised in your letter if you can access your property safely. For properties that have changed to a white placard, there are no restrictions on access.

Please make sure you present the letter (digitally or in print) that we have sent you as your proof for access. This will be checked at the cordon.  

Cordon vehicle passes

We are moving from a manual paper-based process for issuing new vehicle passes, to an online form.

If you require a pass to gain access through the cordons at the intersections of Muriwai / Motutara Road and/or Waitea / Oaia Roads for personal or business reasons, you can apply online here.

These passes will not enable access through the cordons on Domain Crescent or Motutara Road.

The existing blue paper passes are still valid – you do not need to apply for another pass if you already have one.

Once you apply, you will be asked to provide supporting documentation and we aim to complete all requests within 3 business days.

It is important to note, access to Muriwai remains extremely restricted and all applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


Muriwai Regional Park remains closed to visitors. There are no public amenities (toilets) available on the park – the toilets cannot open without water supply. The only access to Muriwai Beach is for 4WD permit holders, from Wilson Road only. Coast Road access is closed and the usual restrictions (no access to the beach south of Okiritoto Stream) remain in place. 

Road closures

Visit the Auckland Transport website for the latest updates on road closure and repair work.

temporary accommodation

Ministry of Business, Employment and Innovation (MBIE) has activated its Temporary Accommodation Services (TAS) following the floods and Cyclone Gabrielle.  

TAS assists households affected by a natural disaster to find safe, secure and accessible temporary accommodation while their home is being repaired or rebuilt. 

If you were living in a property when it was damaged by natural disaster and need help to find somewhere to live while your home is repaired or rebuilt, TAS coordinators can connect you to services and resources to help get you back on your feet. 

People in Auckland affected by Cyclone Gabrielle can register with the Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) on 0508 754 163. TAS will be in contact within five days to understand people’s needs.  

It is important to register with TAS as soon as possible – either via the website or over the phone. A matching and placement coordinator will assess your needs and arrange suitable accommodation support.  

Visit MBIE’s Temporary Accommodation Service website for more.  

Building assessments

For information about the Rapid Building Assessment process please refer to the Auckland Council website |Building assessments for flood and cyclone damaged properties. 

Who to contact about Rapid Building Assessments 

The email address can be used for all communication with the Rapid Building Assessments team, including to: 

  • Request Rapid Building Inspections 
  • Request Rapid Building Re-inspections 
  • Request a potential placard change 
  • Sending in evidence to support placard changes 
  • Notification of further property changes, e.g, further slips or flooding has occurred on the property 
  • Update your contact details 

While the team are receiving high volumes of emails, they are endeavouring to respond within three working days.


Skip bins

Skip bins for communal use have been placed in agreed locations in Muriwai. These are located at:

  • Pull over area close to 47 Motutara Road
  • Oaia Rd (opposite #431)
  • Motutara car park close to Rangers Station
  • Gannet Colony opposite 12 Waitea Road
  • Opposite caravan park


If you need assistance to dispose of silt left by the flood, contact Dirtworks on 0800 285 534 or


Water is now back on for Muriwai. Muriwai customers who have recently returned home after their red placard was lifted will have water running through their taps again from Monday 27 March.  

Watercare’s Muriwai Water Treatment Plant remains red-placarded, so customers are being supplied with a temporary solution – a water tanker that stores water much like a reservoir.

Watercare is pumping water directly back into the existing network using a mobile pump station. It is also increasing the number of top-ups to the tanker to service the extra people. Those that are using tanked-in water should try and use the minimum they can. 

There is always a chance there may be minor disruptions to supply and Watercare asks you to please be mindful of your water use.  

Visit Watercare’s website for the latest updates.


Vector crews have restored as much power supply as they can to Muriwai with remaining work being extremely complex and challenging.  

For updated information, check out the Vector website.

Help is available

If you need assistance or support, please contact us at 0800 22 22 00.

Civil Defence payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding in Karekare, Piha, Muriwai and Te Henga in Auckland.

**Update 29/03 Wed: The Ministry of Social Development Civil Defence payments finish this week**

You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment, and non-residents may be eligible. In most cases, it doesn't matter what your income is or what assets you have. Visit for more information on Civil Defence Payment.

Call on 0800 400 100 Monday to Friday from 8 am-5 pm, and on Saturday 8 am-1 pm or visit the Work and Income service centre for help with Civil Defence Payments.

Find more information on what support is available and where to get help. 

NZ Post Redirection

  • Customers can visit a post centre to create an account. They need to tell post centre staff to write on the form “Free Flood Redirection”.
  • Customers must present one form of ID (can be passport, drivers licence, Kiwi Access Card, SuperGold or Community Services Card).
  • The free redirection will be in place for four months – however, this can be extended (with usual fees applicable if needed).