Piha community information

Piha has been significantly impacted by Cyclone Gabrielle. We appreciate the patience of Piha residents and applaud the community efforts that have stood up and rallied to support locals affected by the cyclone.

on this page


Callout Icon

At the request of residents, Piha Road is closed to everyone other than residents and emergency services by a cordon at the junction with Lone Kauri Road. Security will be present.

Road and track closures

Visit the Auckland Transport website for the latest updates on the progress of repair work and road closures in Piha.


Beaches across the west coast, including Piha, are closed to visitors and surf lifesavers are not on patrol. 

Waitākere Ranges Regional Park 

The following areas and facilities in Waitākere Ranges Regional Park are currently closed: 
- Whatipu 
- Karekare 
- Piha 
- Anawhata 
- Te Henga 
- Arataki 

Find more information on the latest service and facility interruptions | Auckland council website 


There are known active slips in the Piha area, please follow instructions from authorities and do not attempt to go into a cordoned area where access is prohibited. Carrying photo ID and proof of residence (like a utility bill) can make it quicker to move through controlled-access cordons.  

Cordon vehicle passes

We are moving from a manual paper-based process for issuing new vehicle passes, to an online form.

If you require a pass to gain access through the Anawhata Road cordon for personal or business reasons, you can apply online here.

The existing coloured paper passes are still valid – you do not need to apply for another pass if you already have one.

Once you apply, you will be asked to provide supporting documentation and we aim to complete all requests within 3 business days. It is important to note, access to Piha and Karekare remains extremely restricted, and all applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Update for Holiday-home owners

Piha residents and business owners have requested that we support and allow for holiday guests through the cordons as it is a source of income for them. To ensure that it does not create extra traffic, we have allowed one vehicle for the holiday guests in lieu of one vehicle for homeowners while they are not staying in the home. Guests must have proof of holiday home booking to be allowed in.

Temporary accommodation

Ministry of Business, Employment and Innovation (MBIE) has activated its Temporary Accommodation Services (TAS) following the floods and Cyclone Gabrielle.

TAS assists households affected by a natural disaster to find safe, secure and accessible temporary accommodation while their home is being repaired or rebuilt.

If you were living in a property when it was damaged by natural disaster and need help to find somewhere to live while your home is repaired or rebuilt, TAS coordinators can connect you to services and resources to help get you back on your feet.

People in Auckland affected by Cyclone Gabrielle can register with the Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) on 0508 754 163. TAS will be in contact within five days to understand people’s needs.

It is important to register with TAS as soon as possible – either via the website or over the phone. A matching and placement coordinator will assess your needs and arrange suitable accommodation support.

Visit MBIE’s Temporary Accommodation Service website for more.

Building assessments

For information about the Rapid Building Assessment process please refer to the Auckland Council website |Building assessments for flood and cyclone damaged properties. 

Who to contact about Rapid Building Assessments 

The RBAcomms@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz email address can be used for all communication with the Rapid Building Assessments team, including to: 

  • Request Rapid Building Inspections 
  • Request Rapid Building Re-inspections 
  • Request a potential placard change 
  • Sending in evidence to support placard changes 
  • Notification of further property changes, e.g, further slips or flooding has occurred on the property 
  • Update your contact details 

While the team are receiving high volumes of emails, they are endeavouring to respond within three working days.


Skip bins for communal use have been placed at the following locations in Piha:

  • Domain close to the bowling club
  • Glen Esk Rd end cul de sac close to the public toilet building

For safety reasons we will empty the bins regularly to enable the trucks to remove them safely. Please take care when placing items in the bins. Waste collection needs are under constant review.  


If you need assistance to dispose of silt left by the flood, contact Dirtworks on 0800 285 534 or dirtworks.co.nz


Water is available for collection in two locations, a tanker parked at North Piha, near the United North Piha Lifeguard Service, and a welfare bollard (a blue post with two hoses attached to it) at the entrance to the Piha Domain, opposite 20 Seaview Road.  

People need to bring their own containers and can collect up to 20L per person per day. 

Work is progressing on trying to get the private water treatment plant in North Piha Road operational again. This is a separate source of water to the Seaview Road Supply and only serves the North Piha Road area.  

Septic tank pump out services are being arranged, with planning and coordination underway to identify and prioritise affected properties needing the service.

Portaloos were delivered to homes that are without water or power.

Help is available

If you need assistance or support, please contact us at 0800 22 22 00.

Civil Defence payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding in Karekare, Piha, Muriwai and Te Henga in Auckland.

**Update 29/03 Wed: The Ministry of Social Development Civil Defence payments finish this week**

For more information, Call Work and Income on 0800 400 100 Monday to Friday from 8am-5pm, and on Saturday 8am-1pm, visit one of its service centres or visit Work and Income’s website.

Find more information on what support is available and where you can get help. 

NZ Post redirection

  • Customers can visit a post centre to create an account. They need to tell post centre staff to write on the form “Free Flood Redirection”.
  • Customers must present one form of ID (can be passport, drivers licence, Kiwi Access Card, SuperGold or Community Services Card).
  • The free redirection will be in place for four months – however, this can be extended (with usual fees applicable if needed).