Support is available

Find out what support is available and where can you get help. 

Accommodation Support

Options for accommodation support

  • If you need to leave your home, staying with friends or family is always a good first option.
  • Our Civil Defence Centres and community support hubs are now closed.
  • If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property Tenancy Services has information on your rights and obligations after a natural disaster.
  • If your household has been affected by severe weather events in Auckland, Temporary Accommodation Service may be able to help with accommodation. Register online at the Temporary Accommodation Service website or by calling 0508 754 163. A Temporary Accommodation team member will be in touch within 48 hours of registering to discuss your eligibility and needs. This includes if you:
    • have been evacuated to one of the Civil Defence Centres across the city and you need accommodation in the medium / longer term due to the effects of the floods or Cyclone Gabrielle 
    • have previously had accommodation booked through Auckland Emergency Management and this is expiring
    • have been staying with friends or family, but will need accommodation in the medium/longer term.

Financial Support from Work and Income

Support and assistance is available if you've been directly affected by the flooding in Auckland. You don’t need to be on a benefit to get help.

There are lots of ways Work and Income can help, and they can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don't have to be on a benefit.

Civil Defence Payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding in Karekare, Piha, Muriwai and Te Henga in Auckland.

**Update 29/03 Wed: The Ministry of Social Development Civil Defence payments finish this week**

You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment, and non-residents may be eligible. In most cases, it doesn't matter what your income is or what assets you have. Visit for more information on Civil Defence Payment.

Call on 0800 400 100 Monday to Friday from 8 am-5 pm, and on Saturday 8 am-1 pm or visit the Work and Income service centre for help with Civil Defence Payments.

Urgent Costs

In emergencies, Work and Income can help with costs if you don't have any other way of paying.

They can help with:

  • medical costs
  • bedding
  • food
  • power bills
  • repairs or replacing appliances
  • costs if you’ve had to leave your home
  • loss of income because you can't work.

Work and Income also provides other help such as benefits and help with paying your housing costs. Everyone’s situation is different, so what you qualify for will depend on your situation. You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation. Visit for more information on urgent costs.

CSI list of adverse weather events funding information and resources

This is a live resource produced for Foundation North as the community trust for Auckland and Northland. It provides information on funding available specifically for these regions, as well as national funding resources.

Help with paying your rates

Information for those struggling to pay rates and rating values of significantly damaged properties.

If you’re struggling to pay your rates, please contact us on 09 301 0101 to discuss ways in which we can help. This help includes working with ratepayers to make arrangements to clear their rates by 30 June, so they don’t incur additional penalties.

Significantly damaged properties where the rating value is impacted will be reassessed and any corresponding changes to their rates will take effect from 1 July 2023. Auckland Council’s valuers will undertake this work and will be in touch with affected ratepayers once we understand the impacts of these events on properties.

Health Care

Health care services across Auckland are continuing to provide care if you need it.

All hospitals, including emergency departments remain open. If you are seriously unwell and need emergency care please dial 111. 

For less critical non-emergency care, people can continue to phone their GP in the first instance. Phones will be managed 24 hours, either directly or through an after-hours duty GP. Most GPs who would normally be open at the weekend have been able to open usual.

For urgent, less serious, health concerns when your doctor is unavailable, contact your local accident and medical centre. A list of these is available on Healthpoint. All clinics are open as usual.

Community pharmacies can support you if you don’t have your regular prescription medications. A list of open pharmacies can be found on Healthpoint.

For general health advice, or if you’re just not sure where you need to go to seek help, call Healthline 0800 611 116.

There are health risks associated with coming in contact with floodwater and Auckland Regional Public Health Service has updated their advice on their website

Please be extra careful if you are travelling as there may be road closures still in place; check ahead to make sure your normal route is open and safe to use.

Recovery Support

There are a range of supports you may be entitled to, some are available to all affected regions and some are regional specific.

The Connected website has a range of available recovery support for individuals, whanau, and businesses impacted by the recent severe weather events. 


The following information will also help you with general wellbeing.


The importance of trying to get enough sleep during these challenging times

Find good tips at Health Navigator (this is a national DHB endorsed health site)

The importance of explaining what is going on to children – talking to them and listening to them
Mental wellbeing options

Anxiety is very common during an emergency event such as a flooding and evacuations. This is a normal response to a very stressful situation. Talking to people and helping others can be both therapeutic and useful.

The current and recent weather events are distressing. If you're feeling stressed or maybe overwhelmed - you might want to think about talking with a 1737 counsellor for support, advice and ideas to help right now.

Call or text 1737 anytime.

There’s also some great advice on managing stress in an emergency on the Ministry of Health Website Managing Stress in an Emergency page

If you need further support for yourself or for others:

Māori community / Iwi support

Information about Te Puni Kōkiri/ Ministry of Māori development

Te Puni Kōkiri are actively assessing the situation and contacting local marae and iwi. 

Funding and support for communities affected by flooding and Cyclone Gabrielle


Pacific support

Ministry for Pacific Peoples is the Crown’s principal advisor on policies and interventions aimed at improving outcomes for Pacific peoples in Aotearoa.

We have strong networks with Pacific communities around the country and expertise in understanding of Pacific people, customs, and values influence public policy, programme, and service decisions affecting Pacific Aotearoa.

Ministry for Pacific Peoples are actively reaching out to Pacific leaders, communities, and service providers to gather information. Currently, support is available through the following services:

South Seas Healthcare
  • Immediate Flood Relief - Well-being Support
  • South Seas Healthcare is based in Otara, South Auckland and is available to provide immediate wellbeing and food support.
  • Call the South Seas team on 0800 31 13 31.
  • South Seas Facebook page
Pacific Regional Coordination Hub (PaRCH)
  • Available to provide welfare, accommodation and medication support
  • Staffed by Pacific language speakers
  • Can provide assistance regardless of your residency status
  • You can reach the team directly on 0800 727 240.
  • Open from 8am – 8pm
Siaola Vahefonua Tonga Methodist Mission

Siaola is available to provide food and shelter for people affected by the flooding event. If you need help, please call them on freephone 0800 SIAOLA (0800 742 652). Siaola Community Hub address: 636 Great South Road, Ellerslie, Auckland.

Pasifika Futures Ltd

Pasifika Futures Ltd is the Whānau Ora Commissioning Agency for Pacific families, providing support across NZ through their partners. By calling 0800 ETURERE, the Pasifika Futures team will be able to connect you with one of our partners to provide immediate relief support.

The Fono Feleoko Food Hub

0800 FONO4U (0800 366 648)

The Village Community Services Trust
Pacific Regional Coordination Hub (PaRCH)
  • Available to provide welfare, accommodation and medication support
  • Staffed by Pacific language speakers
  • Can provide assistance regardless of your residency status
  • You can reach the team directly on 0800 727 240.
  • Open from 8am – 8pm

 If you require support please email  or visit

Support for Disabled People

Advice from Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People

Ethnic Communities support

The Ministry for Ethnic Communities is supporting ethnic service providers and communities affected.

Ministry for Ethnic Communities website has the cyclone and flooding support hub which includes information for communities and service providers. It includes key information about what support is available, how to access funding, links to relevant information from various government agencies working directly on the response, and stories from our communities.

Foreign Nationals

Foreign Nationals requiring assistance should contact their Embassy or High Commission. 

Contact details can be found at Embassies | New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade 

Visitors to New Zealand should contact their travel insurer if their travel has been disrupted.

Support to Businesses

Take care of yourself and your employees during this time. Help is available.

A Business Support Helpline is being operated by the Employers and Manufacturers Association. It is for business owners affected by the severe weather conditions. Call 0800 500 362 for specific information, ie. staff leave, paying employees, insurance, etc.  

Visit Advice for businesses affected by severe weather for information on Back to Work grants, financial relief packages by banks and help meeting tax obligations. 

Free Postal Redirection

NZ Post is offering a free redirection for red and yellow stickered homes in flood-stricken areas

NZ Post is offering a free redirection for red and yellow stickered homes in flood-stricken areas

  • Customers can visit a postcentre to create an account. They need to tell postcentre staff to write on the form “Free Flood Redirection”.
  • Customers must present one form of ID (can be passport, drivers licence, Kiwi Access Card, SuperGold or Community Services Card.”
  • The free redirection will be in place for four months – however, this can be extended (with usual fees applicable if needed).

Help for rural communities

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) and Rural Brigades of Fire and Emergency New Zealand are working with our welfare team to help rural communities.

Our Lifestyle Block Emergency Preparedness Handbook has some great information about cleaning up, contamination risk and moving animals after a flood event.

Information and resource to help you deal with floods | Ministry for Primary Industries

Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund

The Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund supports people who are experiencing hardship due to disasters and need urgent financial assistance.

Applications for the Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund closed on 6 Mar 2023.

For Aucklanders who have already made an application to the fund, these have now been assessed.

The applications will be assessed against hardship criteria to prioritise applications of the highest need and things that aren’t provided through other funding avenues. This means that some applicants may only receive partial payments of what they have requested, or some applications may be declined. Auckland Council staff will assist applicants to find the appropriate or alternative funding support where possible.

The fund is in addition to other support that people may qualify for through the Ministry of Social Development.

More details on the Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund

Insurance and Claims Resolution

Information and advice from Insurance Council New Zealand, EQC and New Zealand Claims Resolution Service

Your insurer is always your best point of contact. They will assess and manage the full insurance claim, including any EQCover portion on behalf of Toka Tū Ake EQC.

More information on temporary accommodation insurance benefits and settlement timeframes

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS)

If you have concerns about your claim or are unsure about the process, you can contact the NZCRS at 0508 624 327, email  or visit

The NZCRS has been established to provide expert support to homeowners with insurance claims after natural disasters to avoid disputes and resolve issues. It is a free service that provides residential homeowners with independent advice, case management support where appropriate and access to legal, technical and well-being services to help them achieve fair and enduring resolution of their residential insurance claims resulting from natural disasters.

Return to homepage